Still a Total Duck, I See [closed]

((OOC: 06 Firstfall, 34 Dragon, Midday. ))

“Num num num.” Liam tugged on Carver’s hand with all of his toddler might, his arm straight as an oak branch as he pointed to his desired destination: the bakery.

Carver couldn’t help but chuckle, easily drawing the boy back to his side with a gentle retracting of his arm, much like an oak branch in a much different way. He turned his head way down until his eyes fell upon the soft blond hair of the little boy. “If I fill you up with sugar again, your Ma will make me sleep in your room. I'm too big for your crib.” Not that Liam would understand the finer meaning of that, but the important part was clear in that Adara was certainly not going to thank him for bringing a child on a sugar high home. Again.

Still, there had to be some compromise, right? He squatted down to scoop Liam up in his arm, using care not to crush him against his chestplate, only for Liam to mimic the movement, giving him a sharp ‘no’. In the last month he’d enjoyed more and more independence, wanting to be carried less and less. Carver tried not to let it hurt, but it stung a little. So, he rose back to standing and offered his gauntleted hand once more. Liam gripped one finger, as he was wont to do, and Carver led him to one of the stands offering roast pig. Once they received their paper-wrapped treat, Carver walked them both to a low wall at the edge of the Market and helped Liam to stand up on it.

He tugged his gloves off with his teeth, first one and then the other, before pulling a piece of the crackling free and offering it to Liam. The boy gnawed on it with his tiny teeth, mimicking faces Carver made as he ate his portion. Then, Liam squealed, flinging the crispy piece past Carver, where a dog quickly made his fortune and ran off.

Mouth pulling into a line and brow pinched, Carver rebuked him gently. “Don’t throw your food, Big Guy.” Liam reached for the pig once more, and Carver handed him another chunk. Again, Liam chewed away, mostly sucking the juice and flavor out, just long enough to dribble the grease down his chubby hand, when he squealed again, throwing the chewed meat once more.
It would have been a nice quiet patrol round the market district. it was either too cold for some of the stall holders to be out, or those that were out were content to stay right where they were round metal braziers to get some heat. Winter had settled its usual cold grasp in Ferelden once more. If it wasn't the snow then it was the freezing rain. Today was a break from that and for once the sun was out. 

Callum was about to head to one of the stalls for a hot drink and something to eat when the words "Stop Thief!" Hit his ears. Really? Seriously?  Cut purses never took a day off? He looked around, oh seemed like Fritz was up to his old tricks again. Cal knew his route it was the same every time and every time he took it he ended up getting caught by one of the guard. Really the kid should learn a new trade, before the Lieutenant had enough of his antics and strung him up just because he could. 

The big man trotted round the back of the Wayfinders and then ducked down and came round the side by the meat stall, stuck his foot out and watched as Fritz went sprawling. He shook his head and reaching down lifted the young man by the scruff of his jacket, and held his hand out "Give" he motioned with his fingers. 

"Oh come on Mister Kennedy, mans gotta make a living!"

"Yeah only you ain't that good at it, give!" 

He watched as the purse was put in his hand and shook his head a little, judging by the weight not enough to feed a man like Fritz for more than a day maybe. Business must be slow.  He handed the thief over to his companions and when they said something about the young man being in the cells for a couple days Callum could swear he saw the bad thief grin. He uttered a choked laugh. Well, at least he would be warmish, and have food in his belly for a couple days. Maybe he wasn't so dumb after all. 

Cal headed to the aggrieved merchant gave him his purse back and made a beeline for the meat stall passing a Grey Warden and a kid on a wall as he did.

“Don’t throw your food, Big Guy.”  

He smirked to himself, kids will be kids and the dogs would be very happy with that arrangement thank you nice small human. He glanced back at the two and stopped mid stride. He cocked his head a little and a smirk crossed his mouth, he should have recognised that voice anywhere, mischief formed in Callums mind, he brought his lunch and went and stood a little way from the Warden and the child. 

"Well the Maker has a sense of Humour, Carver Hawke playing daddy?" 
 Cal set his food on the wall and took his helm off, setting it down and arched an eyebrow at the Warden "Kirkwall not entertaining enough for you Carver?" He went to hold his hand out then thought fuck it and grabbing the Warden pulled him to him and gave him a hug, maybe holding the hug a little longer than he normal would have before clapping Carvers shoulder. 

He heard the Hawkes escaped, he had been told they had made it to the Marches. He had lost track of them after that and thought they might still be there. It was easy to feel some resentment, the Hawkes got out, the Kennedy's aside from Callum, didn't, but that wasn't Cal's style. He was just glad someone else survived that horror.

One thing the Wardens gave Carver was a good sense of awareness of his surroundings. That didn’t make him exactly observant in the eyes of many, he was sure, but it did mean that he noticed a City Guard watching him and his son.

"Well the Maker has a sense of Humour, Carver Hawke playing daddy?" Well there was a voice he’d not soon forget, reinforced by the shock of red hair beneath the helm the man removed. "Kirkwall not entertaining enough for you Carver?"

Carver barked a laugh. “Not after some of the shite I’ve seen.” He lifted and dropped his armoured shoulders, the pauldrons only widening the breadth of his already large frame. It was a true statement, given all the things the Hawke’s were rumoured to have gone through in their escape of the Blight, but Carver always delivered it with a heavy helping of jocularity. Especially when relaying any of the stories. He liked to leave the realities up to the listener.

Carver dropped his gaze down to Liam, whose fingers were firmly in his mouth as he suckled the pork grease from them in the absence of more meat to feed the strays. “Liam, this di--” he paused and amended to, “doody head is a friend of Da’s.” Doody head was way better than dick head, and he was sure Adara would agree.

Liam thought this was hilarious, and babbled ‘doody’ over and over until the syllables blended together and didn’t sound like words anymore.

Trusting the boy to stay put on the wall, Carver took the couple of steps to pull Callum into a bone-crushing hug, totally not showing off his strength or muscles at all. He gave him a hard thud on the back. “Wondered if you made it out, mate.” Carver stepped back with a crooked grin. The whirlwind of events since Ostagar had not left much time for following up on the sheer volume of people he was sure perished in Lothering when the darkspawn followed them home. “Glad to see you. How are you?”

That honed peripheral vision of his caught sight of a flash of sandy hair as Liam clambered down from his place on the wall and took off running towards the bakery they’d been avoiding. Carver pointed a finger a heartbeat before chasing after him. “That’s my son, Liam.”
Cal laughed as he held the hug then took a step back and ran a gaze over Carvers impressive build and bulk. "Whoa, where did all that come from?" He pointed loosley. When he had last seen Carver, he had been fighting alongside him, the two of them got separated, Carver had been over by the watchtower and Cal had been trying to get to him but had been pulled away. The last he had seen was Carver fighting some more of those..what did they call them..Genlocks? yeah something like that. 

Wondered if you made it out, mate.” Carver stepped back “Glad to see you. How are you?

"Yeah, good. Been here since we took back Denerim, When did you get back to Fereldan? Last i heard you were in the Free Marches making a home for yourself over there with yer ma and sisters? I trust the girls are OK and yer ma?

Callum always had a crush on Bethany, not that he ever told Carver that, one did not tell your crush's over protective twin brother you fancied the pants off her. He liked his older sister and he was always respectful to Carvers ma, in the same way that Carver was always respectful to his ma. He watched as the sandy haired kid tore off towards the forbidden fruits that was the Bakery. When Carver hit him with a bombshell that almost floored the giant. 

That’s my son, Liam.

Wait, did he...did he just say his son? Callum felt his jaw fall a little before closing it, in case Carver made some comment about catching flies. He watched Carver chase his son and shook his head, In what universe, did a woman find Carvers personality attractive enough that she would have his child? The Maker was certainly throwing jokes his way. 

"Your Son? What woman in her right mind gave you a son?

It was easy to fall back into old banter with Carver honestly it was like they had never been apart all these years, and if he didn't then Carver might think there was something wrong with him. 
"Yeah, good.” He hadn’t seen Callum since Ostagar, for all it could be said he saw anyone there. “Been here since we took back Denerim, When did you get back to Fereldan? Last i heard you were in the Free Marches making a home for yourself over there with yer ma and sisters? I trust the girls are OK and yer ma?"

Callum looked good, there was no denying that. Of course, Carver had thought so when they were boys in Lothering, while Carver was still wrestling with matters of what brewed his tea. The years had only done him better, as Carver liked to think they had him as well, filling them both out in ways that living in Lothering hadn’t always been able to do. “Yeah,” he said, “in fact, Beths is here, too.” He waved around. “I mean, not here here. I don’t think. In Denerim. Liam!”

Thankfully his stride compensated for Liam’s speed, and he caught up quickly, carrying him back to where Callum watched, mouth gaping, where he introduced them. For all that a child was able to do much but squirm and squeal to be put down.

"Your Son?” Callum repeated. “What woman in her right mind gave you a son?"

“I know, right? You want down?” he asked Liam, who immediately shouted yes. “Upside down?” He bounced him, then tossed him enough to catch him around the waist, upside down.

Liam laughed, from his belly, the sound echoing around them. “Da! No!” Carver bent to put him down and he yelled out more. “No no no! Not down.” Which was about how things went with him these days.

“Oh, no,” he answered Callum. “My wife and I were in the mountains and we found one. He’s real cute so we kept him.” He shrugged, as if this was the usual way a person went about getting a child. “I got one of those, too, now.” Their marriage might not have been official, but it was as real as it needed to be to them, and that's all anyone needed to know. “She spends time with me, willingly.”

((OOC: Carver's new text colour is #283a90 (Pabst Blue) to adjust to the new design.))
“Yeah,” he said, “in fact, Beths is here, too.” He waved around. “I mean, not here here. I don’t think. In Denerim. Liam!”

Callum watched as Carver caught his son with little to no effort. He felt his face flush a little at Bethany's name and cleared his throat, dragging his mind  back to the present he shook his head in mute wonder at the idea that Carver had a son AND a wife. He wondered if he had got hit on the head recently or something, cause he would never have expected Carver to marry let alone have a kid. 

"Wife too?" Cal almost squeaked. 

“I know, right? You want down?” Carver asked Liam, who immediately shouted yes. “Upside down?” He bounced him, then tossed him enough to catch him around the waist, upside down. 

Callum sat on the wall and shaking his head in silent wonder watched as Carver played with his son, when he explained how he came across Liam it made no difference to how the big man thought.
"Damn it Carver i never thought you would settle down let alone raise a kid

Cal pushed his dark red hair over his head he took a coin from his pocket and when the kid and his dad stopped playing goofballs he took the kids hand and pressed the coin into it gently "
Something for your money box lad" he smiled a little and picked his drink up savouring the warmth of it all. "Well Carver i reckon the maker did right by you after all and when did you get so blooming big? i mean you were a a well built lad but this is ... different,"  As an after thought he added "your wife'snot one of them strange dolls i seen doing the rounds is she?"  He was teasing but it did feel good to be able to be himself with his oldest friend and it felt good to see Carver again back in his native land.  "So how'd you and Beths  end up being Wardens?"

Carver couldn’t really appreciate it at the time, as he was wrangling his child, but Callum’s shock and awe over his homelife amused him. Liam had begun to come out of that shell of shyness which seemed innate until they’d lived with him long enough to encourage it. He talked more, ran about more, and didn’t insist on being carried quite as often. For all the ways that excited Carver, it also meant that he required much more energy and attention.

"Damn it Carver i never thought you would settle down let alone raise a kid," Callum finally spit out.

Carver did laugh then as Liam wriggled and giggled and did his best to escape the oppression of his Da’s arms. “Always wanted a family. Big one.” Ideally, he and Adara would be tucked away in a cabin in the Frostbacks, with more children than beds to put them in. He kept that to himself, along with the fact that they’d never have that large family. There already existed a good number of reasons why keeping Liam was cruel, and he didn’t want to think about it.

Tucking some of his hair aside, Callum pulled a coin from his pocket and pressed it into Liam’s chubby little hand. "Something for your money box lad." He smiled, which had always been a nice one, in Carver’s opinion, and lifted the drink he’d been nursing when they’d run into one another. Liam studied the coin in his hand, mumbling some toddler gibberish that sounded like a thank you. "Well Carver i reckon the maker did right by you after all and when did you get so blooming big? i mean you were a a well built lad but this is ... different." Words that, in his teen years, might have brought him a flush to his face and a grumble. "Your wife'snot one of them strange dolls i seen doing the rounds is she?" Carver blinked, having no idea whatsoever what he meant, but he had the distinct impression he was being teased.

“Nope. She’s an elf.” He guessed she did sort of have big eyes, but he’d not thought too much about it.

"So how'd you and Beths end up being Wardens?"

Well, wasn’t that a question with lots of fiddly bits in the answer? “Kind of boring, really,” he started, just as Liam popped the coin from Callum into his mouth. He huffed, dropping to one knee. “Okay, you know better.” Carver pulled his glove off as quickly as he could, and made a hook out of one finger and sweeping it into Liam’s mouth. “Doing some mercenary work with Sisi and we ran into some darkspawn. No, Liam, don’t bite.” His brow creased, wondering what was causing him to act out, and a moment later he dragged the coin out of his mouth. He pocketed the slobbery coin without another thought and stood up. “Got some of their blood in my eye.” He shrugged, having told the story so many times now it just came out without much thought. “Beths got sick doing a job with her some time after.” That he was still pissed at Sisi for it didn’t need to be said. Either Callum would assume as much, or wouldn’t think on it at all.

“Look at you!” He gave Callum a chuck against a shoulder as he scooped Liam up with his other arm, like he weighed nothing. “Didn’t fill out so bad yourself.” He looked around, as if that would give him the answer to his next query. “You a guard or something?”
Callum listened as Carver filled in bits and pieces, what he didn't say spoke volumes, and Callum was left with the distinct impression that things between the older Hawke sibling and only son  were never going to be good. They hadn't been back in the pre-blight Lothering, and he very much doubted they would be now. Thing is, Callum reasoned. that Marian and Carver really were two sides of the same coin, not that he voiced this. One sure fire way for Carver to get a stick up his ass was to compare him to his older sister. 

His heart broke a little when he heard that being with said sister left Beth's as a Warden now, that was a shame really, he had really really liked Bethany, and his only dance with her at the village hall a few weeks before the Darkspawn up ended all their lives. He nodded but didn't say anything about it. Best not too really. 

“Didn’t fill out so bad yourself. You a guard or something?” Callum almost didn't hear Carvers question.

"Huh?" Cal took his eyes of the father and son play thing "Oh yeah, barely" he scowled a little "I worked with Cautherin a while back, said about maybe joining the Wardens, then again i may do something else. Feet are itchy now, been here long enough. Spent a few nights in the lock up cause i upset the Arlessa and my CO. So you know just ghosting around while i try and work out what the fuc....fudge to do next" Callum checked his language, quickly. 

Callum set his drink down and observed father and son for a bit. yeah Carver had said about wanting a big family, he remembered the convos well enough. Carver hadn't mentioned his mother and Callum had a horrible feeling worm it's way through him. Lady Leandre had been good to him when he was a boy, even on the odd occasion parted some, what seemed at the time, nonsensical words of advice, which looking back now had actually been spot on. "Your ma get out ok?"  He really hoped she had. 
"Huh?" Cal looked like he’d zoned out while watching Carver and Liam. After a moment’s recovery, he processed Carver’s enquiry. "Oh yeah, barely,” judging by the scowl, there had to be more, "I worked with Cautherin a while back, said about maybe joining the Wardens,” Carver lifted a brow, wondering how he’d missed that, but honestly he missed a lot of things, “then again i may do something else. Feet are itchy now, been here long enough. Spent a few nights in the lock up cause i upset the Arlessa and my CO.” Arlessa? What Arlessa? What else had Carver missed? “So you know just ghosting around while i try and work out what the fuc....fudge to do next"

Free of the coin impeding his speech, Liam laughed. It was possible he recognised the slip Cal almost made, which would probably horrify Adara more than she already was at Carver’s language. It was equally possible that his toddler brain thought of something that was probably only funny if you were a toddler. Okay, sometimes he got Liam’s humor, too.

But Cal becoming a Warden? Carver had stranger thoughts. He remembered sparring together back in Lothering when they were barely old enough to be embarrassed over surprise boners. Or, maybe that had just been Carver’s problem. He knew Callum to be a good swordsman. He wasn’t going to press the matter; Callum could see Carver’s uniform plain as day and could ask questions if he wanted.

Besides, the subject changed swiftly. "Your ma get out ok?"

Carver looked up from where he was wrestling Liam back on to the wall to sit, surrendering what remained of the portion of pork they’d procured. “My ma?” He nodded, then realised just how long it had been since they talked. Or even seen one another. “Yeah. Barely.” He lifted and dropped his shoulders. “Flew to Gwaren on a dragon with us. Don’t think she liked it much.” Delivered with all the casualness of someone who may have or may not have been joking. Carver preferred to leave it up to the attention of others.

That wasn’t all though. “She and Sisi actually recovered our grandparent’s old estate and title.” Which never stopped being weird to hear. “You’re looking at Lord Carver Maurevar Hawke, Scion of the House of Amell.” That he definitely delivered with a heavy helping of jocularity, not the least of which being that he was a Warden, and titles didn’t apply to him. “So she’s doing alright. Or as alright as you can be, living with Sisi.”

((OOC: Carver's new font colour is #283a90)
Well didn't Carver just know how to floor him. A dragon? They flew to Gwaren on a Fucking Dragon?? Cal normally would have asked him what the hell he had been drinking or what did the wardens feed them but something about Carvers flippant attitude had him actually believing it, and he reflected that in the way he gave his oldest friend a sideways glance. 

She and Sisi actually recovered our grandparent’s old estate and title." Callum blinked a couple of times and his jaw opened a little, well everyone knew there was something special about Leandre Amell, she didn't hold herself like a village woman, well spoken, could read and write and had that poise "You’re looking at Lord Carver Maurevar Hawke, Scion of the House of Amell."

"Want me to go down on one knee then and call you my Lord?" Cal got over his shock and reverted back to his normal behaviour "kiss your damn little pinkie toes aswell?" 

"So she’s doing alright. Or as alright as you can be, living with Sisi.” 

Well sounded like Carver still had issues with his big sister, still he didn't answer it and he didn't ask about it. He finished his drink and bowed low "Well if My Lord doesn't mind having a mere ruffian tagging along with him for a bit" It was all tease, after all Callum would never be able to see Carver as some landed gentry, to him he was still the kid that got a hard on over a red headed chantry sister, OK he wasn't a kid anymore but thats how Cal remembered them both. That and fighting a hoard of creatures who had destroyed both their lives. 
Callum was Callum, and that meant he reacted about as Carver would have expected him to. "Want me to go down on one knee then and call you my Lord?" Carver rolled his eyes, which made Liam burst out with a warning sound, reminding him how Ma didn’t like that. "kiss your damn little pinkie toes aswell?"

Now Carver snorted. “I mean, if you want to, I guess. Be kinda weird though, and you might mess up my boot with your filthy mouth.” He hefted one foot up onto the wall and gestured to it for Cal if he wanted to, the grin on his face fit to split his face.

Now that all the formalities, such as who was still an arse (both of them) and who enjoyed taking the piss from one another (both of them) and who was going to kiss whose toes (neither of them), Callum moved they move on. "Well if My Lord doesn't mind having a mere ruffian tagging along with him for a bit"

“If anyone asks I'll tell them it’s a ruffian outreach thing.” He gave Cal a nudge to the chest with an elbow and jerked his chin in the direction of the Gnawed Noble tavern. “It includes me standing you a drink, if you’re keen.”

He reached out for Liam’s hand, but the boy decided to grab on to his arm instead. The only reasonable way to react to that was to swing him along, making an exaggerated whoosh each time he lifted Liam from one step to the next while he squealed and held on. It was kind of neat, now that Liam was less withdrawn and more expressive. After several of those, he hooked Liam around the waist and lifted him up to sitting on his shoulders. “Hey, look at that! It’s the tallest kid in the whole world!” He progressed the rest of the way spinning circles and moving in starts and stops until they reached the door, making a big show of crouching so Liam could pass under the door without bonking his head. That particular trick had taken a few tries, and more than one goose egg, to perfect.

He tumbled Liam into one of the booths. It wasn’t the most comfortable for Carver in all his armour, but it was much easier to keep Liam in one spot if he couldn’t simply climb out. At least in that direction.

Thumbing over his shoulder towards Liam. “We were stationed up at Soldier’s Peak for awhile, Adara and me. He was being cared for by family. His birth parents… ah…” So, it was complicated, explaining that Liam’s birth mother was Adara’s identical not-a-twin sister, who’d bedded one of the nicer Dryden men. She bolted, the Dryden man died, and Liam was left with his family. “You know. They’re not around.” He shrugged. “Just felt right, taking him in. Always wanted a family that didn’t annoy me.”
“I mean, if you want to, I guess. Be kinda weird though, and you might mess up my boot with your filthy mouth.

Yup that was the Carver he knew and loved, smart mouth and attitude all rolled into one. Callum shook his head "
Nah you're good. i mean i don't know where your boot has been, or where your toes have been for that matter,

He heard a familiar snort from Carver and watched as the lad nudged him in his stomach and pointed in the general direction of the Gnawed Noble.  “
If anyone asks I'll tell them it’s a ruffian outreach thing. It includes me standing you a drink, if you’re keen.” Carver? Actually buying a beer? Cal nodded, he was not going to miss that for the world. Usually it had been Carver sneaking into the fields with Cal on days off and supping said red heads stolen ale from his grandfathers stock and always after the old man had a couple that would send him to sleep so he didn't remember how many he had left. 

Course on the odd occasions he did there was trouble brewing. He watched Carvers interaction with his son and smirked a little at how well it seemed to fit his oldest friend. Course he might wake up in the barracks and think this had been one hell of a dream. It still amazed him that Carver even had the tolerance for a toddlers antics. Just showed how much things had changed. More so when Carver began to explain things with him. 

"
We were stationed up at Soldier’s Peak for awhile, Adara and me. He was being cared for by family. His birth parents… ah…Just felt right, taking him in. Always wanted a family that didn’t annoy me.” 

Cal took his ale and stared into it for a while "
Well you always wanted a large family, whats to stop you adopting one of the kids from the Orphanage here, Assuming the Revered Mother is not mad enough, drunk enough or high enough to think about leaving a child with you" He teased, he could see how much Carver adored Liam. "Your mama met her grandson yet?" he knew Lady Hawke Amell, if that was the right way to put it, well enough to know she might be gushing over her grandson.
Carver didn’t figure Cal the sort who would turn down a free beer. They’d filched enough of them over the few years they’d lived in Lothering to know that. Of course, now he had coin, and they didn’t have to sneak into the tall grasses of the fields to drink it unseen.

Liam flopped down on the bench, sticking his rear end up in the air, much like he did when he went to sleep. Carver gave his hair a tousle as he explained to Callum how he and Adara had come to have the boy in their care.

Cal buried his nose in his tankard as soon as it arrived. "Well you always wanted a large family, whats to stop you adopting one of the kids from the Orphanage here, Assuming the Revered Mother is not mad enough, drunk enough or high enough to think about leaving a child with you"

Carver tapped his fingers against the tankard and chuckled. Good ol’ Cal. Never missed an opening, that one. “Thought about that.” Lives of Wardens weren’t exactly conducive to raising families. Maybe Revered Mothers didn’t know that, or maybe they did. They would be right to refuse a child to a pair of Wardens.

"Your mama met her grandson yet?" Cal asked.

“Nah.” Carver tipped his tankard up and took a long drink, swallowing audibly. “Haven’t seen her yet.” He lifted and dropped a shoulder. “Should probably do something about that but you know. Duty.” Duty. Sounded a little like doodie. Doodie was a funny sounding word. He laughed and shook his head.

“Dunno.” He realised Callum couldn’t follow thoughts in his head that he didn’t say out loud. “Probably not fair we took one kid, considering we’re Wardens.”

Seeing Mother would mean having to see Marian Saoirse. Seeing Saoirse would mean answering a lot of questions he wasn’t ready to. But, there were some he was.

“Can you imagine her face when I tell her some woman out there tolerated me long enough to marry me?” He grinned, shaking his head at his tankard. “How ‘bout you? Anyone tolerating you lately?”
There was no doubt about it, the kid was cute. too cute to have come from Carvers loins that was for certain. He swallowed some ale and set it to one side, that was enough to clear the cobwebs and warm the parts other beers could not warm. Although the affection that Carver clearly had for his son was apparent. Teasing aside he always thought Carver would come into his own one day, be it as a warrior, or a father. Although they had joked about leaving thier village and making their mark in the world, Callum had always believed he would graduate from his uncles apprenticeship, take over the family business and be Lotherings best Carpenter with a wife and maybe 4 kids. Carver he thought would have left the village as soon as he was able, he didn't exactly feel like he fitted in with his rather illustrious family and it seemed like his rivalry with the enigmatic Marian was as strong as ever. 

Nah. Haven’t seen her yet.”  Carver replied with his trademark shrug. “Should probably do something about that but you know. Duty. Dunno. Probably not fair we took one kid, considering we’re Wardens.”

"Yeah i had heard rumours that you guys couldn't have kids once you joined. Thought that was a damn rumour actually but what the hell you got a lad so shouldn't matter if he was Carver made or Carver raised right?

Can you imagine her face when I tell her some woman out there tolerated me long enough to marry me?” Carver asked him with a bigger grin. “How ‘bout you? Anyone tolerating you lately?

Cal snorted which sounded like a Mabari come to think of it.  "Oh i think i can picture it pretty clearly" he chuckled into his drink and ordered another round on him and something juicy for little Carver. "No old friend, no one tolerating me, occasionally i share a bunk with someone on an, shall we say understanding that theres nothing more than that. Young free and single" Cal smirked "Although i have worked with Lady Denerim once or twice, that was...an experience" Truth be told that was a whole other sort of experience, one that he wasn't sure he wanted to repeat or if he wanted to do it again, the woman was a damn enigma. Callum took his pint and ran his finger round the rim of the glass "You and Marian still not um, on the best of terms then?
Actually, Carver could picture mother’s face when he told her about Adara and Liam. There would be that sense of relief that he wouldn’t be left alone and miserable for the rest of his life. There’d be a lift of eyebrow at Adara’s being an elf. And a mage. But mother was far too polite to comment on it, especially since in the grand scheme of things, it really did not matter. Mother would care that he was happy, and Adara would win her over. After all, she’d won him over.

It seemed that Cal agreed with him on that. "Oh i think i can picture it pretty clearly" he said with a chuckle before burying his nose in and draining his tankard. He ordered another round, including some pressed juice for Liam, who was being good and quiet, giving Carver cause to believe he’d fallen asleep.

"No old friend, no one tolerating me, occasionally i share a bunk with someone on an, shall we say understanding that theres nothing more than that. Young free and single Although i have worked with Lady Denerim once or twice, that was...an experience" Carver tilted his head. Lady Denerim? Did he mean the new Arlessa. "You and Marian still not um, on the best of terms then?"

Carver let out a snort. “When have we ever?” There was a short time in Lothering. Before Da. It seemed like they were all going to be okay. Or, maybe it was because they both knew what was coming before it happened. “Don’t really talk much.” He shrugged. “Not like I can just go to the docks and yell to her, right?”

The drinks arrived, the waitress setting them all down and clearing their glasses away. “Tell Mister Kennedy,” boy did that sound weird to say, “thank you for--” Carver blinked, looking at the blank spot on the bench where his son had been sleeping. Or so he thought. “Hey, uh, Cal. There was a kid here, right?” He leaned to look under the table, finding nothing, and was out of the booth and standing up, looking around frantically. “Liam? Liam? This isn’t funny, little man.”